Monday, August 31, 2009

IF I WERE ELECTED TO CONGRESS

Many people complain about the government, the congress and various elected officials. I'm a major complainer. Once in a while someone throws it back in my face and asks “What would YOU do if your were a Congressman?”

1) I know that I alone cannot accomplish everything I want to do by myself. I need other like minded Congressmen.
2) I wouldn’t stay more than two terms at the most. Damn the seniority rule. Full speed ahead.
3) I would try to be the role model for the Congress I would like to see. It’s sort of like Mr. Smith Goes To Washington. The theme of the campaign would be real freedom.

Sessions of Congress
Sessions of Congress should only be conducted six months out of the year. 3 Months in session, 3 months in your home district, 3 months in session and 3 months home. There is no law that is so important that it’s debate cannot not be continued in the next session.

During their time at home, they will be required to get out and meet real people, not lobbyists and not other politicians. They will have to go to the offices, the bowling alleys, the factories, the truck stops and the hospitals including visits to military in the hospital. They can visit the home clubs, both Democratic and Republican clubs. No set up of one sided rallies.

They will be required to read EVERY bill they are debating and we the citizens have the right to know who actually wrote it. Bills must contain only one subject. There will be no adds or amendments to a bill that is not germain to the main concept of the bill.

Congressional salaries will be frozen at the current rate and stay that way for at least 2 years. The only way they can get a raise is for voters to vote it in when electing Congress and the amount will be on the ballot for Congress.

Any bill they pass, the Congress must live under it. NO exceptions or exemptions for Congress.

Election Requirements
I realize each State will set their own requirements in addition to the basics required by the Constitution, but I think most elected officials are totally ignorant about the Constitution and 10 Amendments or they are just totally ignoring it.

I would require anyone wanting to run for the Congress or the Senate including State offices, must pass a test on the Constitution. In the early 1800’s our children had to past a test from a document called the Catechism on the U.S. Constitution. There were 332 questions. To make sure the test is administered honestly, the candidates will be quizzed orally by high school seniors in the district they are running in.


If they can’t get a passing score, then they have no business running for office.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home